By CHRISTY BOYD
Special to The Pilot
BROWN’S ARM — How do you know if you are allergic to something? What about if you are severely allergic to something?
You may find yourself going into anaphylactic shock. Anaphylaxis is a life-threatening type of allergic reaction. It can be a result of an insect sting, food, or medicine that a person takes. Anyone who has experienced this will tell you it is a very frightening time and one that needs to be avoided.
This was the case for Barry Fraughton of Brown’s Arm on April 9. He had visited his doctor in the morning and received medication for an infection.
After some dinner he took his medicine and within seconds his face began to tingle. He could feel his face begin to swell and knew something was wrong. The following few minutes were crucial. As Barry’s throat begin to close his memory failed him and none of his family’s members phone numbers came to him. Suddenly, his brother-in-law, Chris’s number popped into his head.
Chris Burt had only just hung up the phone with Barry before he took the medication. When the phone rang again Chris assumed he was getting an invite for coffee and a chat. On the other end of the line Barry told him that he was having trouble breathing and needed him. Chris and his son Tyler went there immediately. When they pulled in Barry’s driveway, Chris told his son Tyler that he didn’t think his Uncle Barry was going to make it.
They knew they had to get medical attention for Barry. It was probably the fastest trip to Lewisporte anyone has ever. Barry can remember leaving Brown’s Arm and passing Die Trac in Lewisporte. While Tyler was calling ahead to the clinic, Chris was trying to keep Barry conscious. When they reached the clinic and the doctor and nurses immediately began treating Barry and giving him oxygen.