Peter Penney • correspondent • 671-4589 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Students on summer vacation
Now that the students are on summer break, please be very vigilant and careful of their whereabouts at all times when driving throughout the community, especially watch out for the little ones, because they might have a tendency to cross the street very unexpectedly. We wish all the elementary and high school students great success in writing their school and public examinations. Have a great summer and take care.
Student’s summer jobs
One student has been hired under Service Canada summer jobs for 35 hours per week for seven weeks. Also one student has been hired through Human Resources Labour and Employment for 20 hours per week for five weeks. The two students will be gathering information related to the Horwood Lumber Company Mill operations, which operated one of the largest steam generated mills in Newfoundland, right here in Horwood from 1902 until its closure in 1954. They will also be performing various community chores.
Marjorie Hart from Gander, originally from Horwood has been home for the past three weeks visiting with her daughter Vera from Oshawa who is home on a well-deserved vacation. I know you will both enjoy each others company to the fullest. Family is everything, so make the best of it while you can.
Austin and Barbara Bennett are home from Fort McMurray, visiting with their family and friends. I hope you enjoy our lovely weather and I know for certain you’ll enjoy your stay. It’s always nice to get back home.
Beautiful words to live by (food for thought)
• Prayer is not a “spare wheel” that you pull out when in trouble; it is a “steering wheel” that directs us in the right path throughout life.
• Do you know why a car’s windshield is so large and the rear view mirror is so small? Because our Past is not as important as our Future. So, look ahead and move on.
• Friendship is like a book. It takes a few seconds to burn, but it takes years to write.
• All things in life are temporary. If going well enjoy it, they will not last forever. If going wrong don’t worry, they can’t last long either.
• Old friends are like Gold! New friends are Diamonds! If you get a Diamond, don’t forget the Gold! Because to hold a Diamond, you always need a base of Gold!
Happy birthday to Chris Squires residing in Edmonton, who celebrated his birthday June 27. Greetings from Suzanne, mom, family and friends. Special wishes from Uncle Pete.
Birthday greetings to Linda Gillingham who just celebrated her birthday. Best wishes from Scott, family and friends.
Best wishes to Noah Penney who celebrated his birthday June 28. Greetings from your family and all of your friends.
Happy birthday to Scott Kinden who will be celebrating his birthday June 30. Birthday greetings from Evelyn, family and friends. Special greetings from your great friends at the 50+Club.