Top News

Gould consents to remain in custody until September

<p>Robert (Robbie) Gould is seen in provincial court in Corner Brook on Tuesday afternoon.</p>
<p>Robert (Robbie) Gould is seen in provincial court in Corner Brook on Tuesday afternoon.</p>

After eluding police for much of Monday, Robert (Robbie) Gould made a brief appearance in provincial court in Corner Brook on Tuesday afternoon.

Gould, 34, has consented to remand and will remain in jail until his next court appearance on Sept. 6.

He’s charged with theft under $5,000 and 17 counts of failure to comply with the condition of an undertaking or recognizance.

His latest brush with the law came as the result of a complaint of a possible break-in in the Carter Avenue area of the city early Monday morning.

At around 12:28 a.m. the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary responded to the area and patrol cars with lights flashing could be heard and seen driving up and down the Carter Avenue and Wheeler’s Road area as police looked for the suspect.

No one was arrested at the time and the RNC later confirmed they had identified a suspect and issued a press release requesting the public’s assistance in locating Gould.

As a result of numerous investigations, an arrest warrant was issued for him on Monday afternoon.

Just after 6 p.m. police tweeted that Gould had been arrested without incident.

See related: Police arrest Gould in connection with theft, court order breaches

During Tuesday’s court appearance Crown attorney Trina Simms told Judge Catherine Allen-Westby that she would be opposing Gould’s release.

Before a bail hearing could be set, it was noted that Gould has an appearance on a number of other unrelated charges currently before the court set for Sept. 6 and requested that the new charges be brought forward to that day.

Legal aid duty counsel lawyer Jennie MacDonald confirmed that Gould was consenting to remand until that time.

Gould’s other charges include three counts of failure to comply with a probation order, four counts of failure to comply with the condition of an undertaking or recognizance, breaking and entering and committing an indictable offence and theft under $5,000.

Twitter: @WS_DianeCrocker

Gould, 34, has consented to remand and will remain in jail until his next court appearance on Sept. 6.

He’s charged with theft under $5,000 and 17 counts of failure to comply with the condition of an undertaking or recognizance.

His latest brush with the law came as the result of a complaint of a possible break-in in the Carter Avenue area of the city early Monday morning.

At around 12:28 a.m. the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary responded to the area and patrol cars with lights flashing could be heard and seen driving up and down the Carter Avenue and Wheeler’s Road area as police looked for the suspect.

No one was arrested at the time and the RNC later confirmed they had identified a suspect and issued a press release requesting the public’s assistance in locating Gould.

As a result of numerous investigations, an arrest warrant was issued for him on Monday afternoon.

Just after 6 p.m. police tweeted that Gould had been arrested without incident.

See related: Police arrest Gould in connection with theft, court order breaches

During Tuesday’s court appearance Crown attorney Trina Simms told Judge Catherine Allen-Westby that she would be opposing Gould’s release.

Before a bail hearing could be set, it was noted that Gould has an appearance on a number of other unrelated charges currently before the court set for Sept. 6 and requested that the new charges be brought forward to that day.

Legal aid duty counsel lawyer Jennie MacDonald confirmed that Gould was consenting to remand until that time.

Gould’s other charges include three counts of failure to comply with a probation order, four counts of failure to comply with the condition of an undertaking or recognizance, breaking and entering and committing an indictable offence and theft under $5,000.

Twitter: @WS_DianeCrocker

Recent Stories